Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I think I had a mom moment

I don't usually blog before 7 am, but I'm hoping the Lord will use the process of jotting down this quick story from yesterday to soften my heart towards a certain two year-old who coughed herself awake at 5 am (sad) and then proceeded to lay in bed with us and kick us and demand beverages, nose wiping and TV for the next 1.5 hours (not sad, just annoying).

During our usual afternoon park visit, three middle school girls were also there, hanging out after visiting the pool on its opening day. L was, of course, fascinated by the big girls, and was so thrilled to point out the bunny rabbit on her t-shirt when one of them talked to her. Totally made her day. Thank you, random tween girl, for speaking kindly to a little one. Anyways, later on we were swinging and L was watching them sit on top of the monkey bars and talk--powwow, if you will. Naturally she wanted to climb up there with them. I told her that someday she would be a big girl and could sit up there, but not yet. She broke out in this huge grin and said, "YEAH, I can sit up there with you, MOMMY, and El-we-ut!" I smiled back, but it hit me hard that her constant desire to be my side is a season, and one that will probably look fleeting in retrospect. I didn't have the heart to tell her that at that point in life, she won't want to be caught dead with her mom and baby brother while she's hanging out with her friends.

It was a good reminder to stop and enjoy (or try to) all of these close-together moments that make up life right now. And so far I'm doing a good job.

Except maybe between 5 and 7 am.

Monkey-ing it up recently

No comments:

Post a Comment