Monday, June 15, 2009

23...

...is how many beavers (stuffed animals, figurines, etc) that I can see in our room. Perhaps we can get one new one every year to correspond with how old I am...

...is how many times I thought we might be struck by lightning while out boating in the harbor yesterday. Our friend Tony took Thomas and me (along with 3 other friends, Kate, Jimmy and Meghan) on an initially lovely Sunday afternoon boat ride. We left from the marina downtown, picked up K and J at Red's on Shem Creek, and then headed up the Intercoastal Waterway. It was beautiful, sunny and idyllic. Maggie, Tony's beautiful golden retriever, skittered around the boat on her toenails and drooled a lot. Then a storm started to roll in...quickly. Within five minutes of the initial raindrops, we were in a downpour, complete with thunder and lightning. Have you ever been in a boat going 35 miles per hour in a thunderstorm? The raindrops feel like tiny pins poking any piece of exposed flesh. Maggie began to give us her saddest possible face as she dug her toenails into whatever she was lying on--boat, legs, she didn't discriminate. Anyways, first mate Thomas and captain Tony successfully brought us through the storm and into the marina with no permanent damage done. Although we'll see how Maggie responds next time Tony wants to take her out on the boat....

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I am so happy to welcome you to the blogging world (I welcome you as if I blog enough to give me that authority...) Just these three posts made me smile (and laugh aloud in the computer room at my school, oops) and remind me how grateful I am for you my dear, old friend. A little dose of Ashley does my heart a whole lot of good!

    Don't worry, as you may have guessed, I have in fact experienced rain + boat + high speeds and I will back you up on how uncomfortable that truly is. love you! pinky

    ReplyDelete