Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Being abroad with kids, Part One

There are some obvious inconveniences to being abroad with children. Being trapped in your hotel room once your kids go to sleep at 7, for one. (Which is especially a bummer when the sun doesn't go down until 10:30.)  Getting around with a double stroller is challenging--I've had to awkwardly push by people more than once and have had to back out of a few stores because we just didn't fit. And noisy meltdowns, especially by a certain almost three-year old are commonplace (and just as embarrassing here, FYI).

However, there are some really awesome parts, too. A few things that I foresaw, and a few fun surprises.

1. Watching Lillian interact with a much wider variety of people and situations is awesome. Her little brain is pretty much exploding by the end of every day. She talks to the people we sit next to on the train; the people we encounter in coffee shops; workers standing around on breaks; other guests in the hotel; etc. And since I am doing minimal cleaning and cooking (CUE ANGELS SINGING), and we can only spend so many hours in the hotel every day (hotel suites, even nice ones, are definitely not designed for small children), we spend a lot of time outside going to various museums, parks and shops, so there are always new experiences to be had and new people to encounter. Elliott is obviously benefiting from these things, too; it's just a little harder to gauge.

2. . When I was abroad in college, I spent a lot of time trying to blend in. I figured out that the best way to do that was to keep talking and smiling to a minimum. Now that my #1 priority is keeping my kids safe and in control, I have no problem raising my voice and drawing attention to my American accent. Plus I can't help but (nor can most other people) smile at their antics and encourage the good behavior while reining in the bad. Which brings me to my next point:

3. Kids break the ice. Yesterday Lillian sat down next to a lady on the subway and after a few exchanged smiles, she asked her where she lives and if she has kids. The lady cheerfully answered both questions and we were able to have a nice conversation with her. If Lillian hadn't been there, our interchange would never have moved beyond nonverbal communication. This is just one example from a number of interactions, too.

4. Dragging kids around the city--particularly when I'm on my own--has shown me just how kind the Glaswegians are. People are constantly asking if they can help--whether it's helping us lug the stroller up and down the stairs into the subway, holding an elevator, smiling and talking to us in the street, etc. This morning at a coffee shop no fewer than three people leaped up to open the door for us, while telling me how lovely my  "wee boy and girl are" and asking how our day is going. This city is incredibly friendly, and I think that having Lillian and Elliott with me helps to bring that out in people.

5. Finding kid friendly activities is fun! Having a plethora of free museums to visit helps a lot, obviously, and I can't wait to see what all we will discover this year.

L adding her little house to the village created by other kids at the Gallery of Modern Art. 

Checking out the scene at the Botanic Garden yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment