Monday, September 21, 2009

Setting the record straight

For anyone who might think that a graduate degree in English/American literature means that all I do is read great volumes of ponderous classics, I just wanted to let you know that in the last 3 days, I have read the following:
The Phantom Tollbooth
Two Ramona books (Beverly Cleary)
Four Mrs. Pigglewiggle books

Thomas asked me last night what is so appealing about these "return to childhood" books. I told him it was because I love how straightforward all of the problems are--though life is never perfect, everything is fixable. I spend so much time reading about the various dimensions our fallen world takes and the weighty problems that existence brings about that it is very refreshing to "change it up" when I can. I guess it doesn't hurt that reading a Ramona book takes almost no brainpower and makes me laugh my head off to boot.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the Ms. Pigglewiggle books!

    Another good one: from the mixed up files of Mrs. something something something. I love that one too.

    ReplyDelete